In the book of John 7 “ I AM “ Statements: In all seven, He combines I AM with tremendous metaphors which express His saving relationship toward the world. I Am the Bread of Life OT Background: Exodus 16; Deut. 8:3; Ps. 78:23-25NT Fulfillment: John 6:22-59, especially verses 28-35.
2) I Am the Light of the World OT Background: Exodus 13:17-22 (cf. Ex. 14:19-20); Isaiah 42:6 and 49:6 (both verses are in the four Servant Songs of Isaiah).NT Fulfillment: John 8:12-30. See also John 1:4-5; 3:19-21; 9:5; 12:35-36).
3) I Am the door or gate &
4) I Am the Good Shepherd OT Background: Psalms 118:20 (gates = door); Ezekiel 34 and Jeremiah 23 (cf. Isaiah 40:11; Numbers 27:15-18; Micah 5:4)NT Fulfillment: John 10:1-18
5) I Am the resurrection, and the life OT Background: Genesis 1-3; Isaiah 53:10NT Fulfillment: John 11:17-27
6) I Am the way, the truth, and the life OT Background: Exodus 26:33; Leviticus 16NT Fulfillment: John 14:6
7) I Am the true vine OT Background: Two vineyard songs: Isaiah 5:1-7 (the desolate vineyard) & Isaiah 27:2-6 (the fruitful vineyard).NT Fulfillment: John 15:1-6